Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Bolivar

If you have never heard of Bolivar, TN, you should look it up. Those who aren't real familiar with the town maybe have heard of Western Mental Hospital. Well, it is also where I grew up. When I (Brandon) was in the 7th grade, we moved to Bolivar where my dad served as pastor of First Baptist Church for 15 years.

As I think back over those years at First Baptist Bolivar, I realize that much of who I am today is because of the teachers and leaders who poured into me during my "teenage years." I am very grateful for them. It was my junior year of high school at summer camp that God called me to the ministry. But, it was many people in that church who would come up to me (and pinch me on the cheek) and say "you are going to be a great minister one day just like your daddy." Of course, I always rolled my eyes and said "yeah right!" (not to them of course). Well, they were right about one thing, I was going to be a minister! It was there I was given the opportunity to preach my first sermon, and it was the people there who encouraged me and said I did such a wonderful job (weren't they soooo gracious!).

I am so excited because I have the opportunity to return to First Baptist Bolivar on October 18th to preach that evening and share what God is calling Nikki and I to in the Dominican Republic! I look forward to coming back to my "home church" to share, fellowship, and catch up with so many again!

2 comments:

  1. How exciting to get to go back to FBC Bolivar and share. I know you must be thrilled. I wish I could be there. But, I will let Daddy know so that he can tell everyone at Middleburg. Perhaps God has partners in ministry there waiting to hear your message and mission. Blessings in your journey!
    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. U are an amazing minister!! Don't think otherwise! Love yall

    ReplyDelete