Monday, August 24, 2009

Things We Have Learned - Part 2

Sometimes we learn things that we already know, but just "re-learn" them in a new or fuller sense. I have re-learned that I am an incredibly blessed man to have a wife like Nikki. Most of you have probably read the entry "My Side of The Story," Nikki's version of our call to the Dominican. Even as I read, and then re-read it, and then re-read it again, I couldn't help but smile to know how God has blessed me with a woman who is sensitive to God's call, is compassionate to the poor, lost, and hurting, and is just crazy enough to take the adventure of a lifetime for the sake of the Kingdom. I mean, hey, we only have one life to live together, so we might as well make it count!

I remember as we talked about getting married, the conversation of "missions" came up several times. It was an uneasy conversation for me to have because I felt such a conflict. I KNEW we were supposed to get married (and I knew she knew that), but I also KNEW she was so passionate about missions. It was hard for me to see her "give that up." But, that is the type of woman she is, one who is sacrificial to do what God has called her to do (marry me!!!).

Another interesting fact, in this whole process, is Nikki took a career profile to see what types of careers fit her personality. Of course, the number one career that came back was missionary! She was somewhat frustrated at that point because she knew that wasn't an option. Of course though, God is always working in the background.

Perhaps, could it be, that God is big enough to know that one day He would speak softly to me one evening that He wanted me to move to the Dominican Republic and could it be that God is big enough to know that I would need a wife who was the type of woman of God who would let go of everything and follow along on this crazy adventure? I think so! Praise God for working in our lives and praise God for such an incredibly wonderful wife! I love you Nikki.

No comments:

Post a Comment