Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Things We Have Learned - Part 1

Over the past year I realized how dependent I was on myself, my resources, my abilities, and my stuff. I mean seriously, when was the last time I TRULY had to live every day dependent on God.

I got to see a real picture of this in the Dominican Republic. I had the opportunity to speak to a group in an area called Policlinica. After I finished sharing, two ladies began belting out songs of praise. It was spuradic, off-the-cuff praise, but amazing! They couldn't contain the joy of their Savior! One of the songs was about if you have faith the size of a mustard seed you can move mountains. It was then that it hit me: these ladies had seen mountains move in their life. The joy in their life was contagious, yet they had nothing (of earthly riches).

Later that day I came across James 2:5 - "Listen, my dear brothers: Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith and to inherit the kingdom he promised those who love him?"

It is so true! These people have nothing to be dependent (because they literally have NOTHING) on except God Himself. Their faith is rich. Their faith is real. Their faith is BIG and they are moving mountains!

What about us? Are we "rich in faith" or are we rich in something else?

Here is the tough question I had to answer: If God were to call me right now to let go of all that I own to go reach the people of the Dominican Republic, would my faith be rich enough in Christ to say, yes?

As Nikki and I have gone through things in the house and have thrown some away, given some away, and prepare to sell off the rest, I realized how attached I am to silly things that could easily get in the way of being obedient to the One who is Eternal. If you aren't living fully dependent on Christ and living bold faith that can move mountains...I invite you to ask God to make you uncomfortable and do something BIG for His Eternal Kingdom.

1 comment:

  1. Very convicting my friend. I admire you guys so much for your willingness to be obedient in what God has called you to do. I pray that God will bless you guys as you prepare to head down there, and bless your work once you're there.

    And on a side note, we need to try to hang out with you all before you leave. And we're definitely going to come visit down there sometime.

    ReplyDelete