Thursday, October 1, 2009

Change and Competence

Today at work I am working on an article for our parent newsletter we are sending out. I got somewhat bogged down on it as I realized this is really my last opportunity to write something to every parent in our ministry. It feels like my "last words" to the families that mean so much to me. So, I got overwhelmed and thought I would hit the blog with a few thoughts.

Why is it that change is difficult? The best answer I can come up with is our expectation of how we think things will go versus the reality of how it does go. As I think toward people in the Bible, one of the things that we see with most all of them is change. With Paul, we see a change from killing Christians to willing to be killed proclaiming Christianity. In Moses, we see a scared, timid man who doesn't think he can face Pharoah, to a man who becomes God's servant to lead the Israelites across the Red Sea. We see in Peter, a man who denied Christ 3 times, become the man who preached at Pentecost and 3,000 believed!

Regardless of who it is, we see one thing in common among all of them. The end result is different because the beginning result was THEM doing it, and the end result was GOD working through them! I remember waking up one morning this summer doubting BIG TIME whether I could do ministry in the D.R. I feel very comfortable where I am, but the change of doing ministry in the Dominican scared me! God led me to this verse and said "it isn't YOU who is competent to do this...it's me through you."

2 Corinthians 3:5 "Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God."

What are you NOT doing because you don't think you can do? Remember, yeah, change is scary but think of what God can accomplish through you if you are willing to surrender and say, "God, do it through me!"

1 comment:

  1. Victoria has on her mirror in the bathroom Eph 3:20 This verse has helped me a lot lately. Realizing it is not me who has to do it. It reads, " Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think." This is what I have been thinking about a lot lately. Why do I stress over what I am not expected to do anyway? I am just expected to do what God asks me to do. This is how it is for you and Nikki. Just go and be willing, God will do the rest. You two will be amazing....How can you not be when God is going before you?! We love you two deeply!

    ReplyDelete